A Drone is for life, not Just for Christmas

Drone for Christmas, snow, presents

It’s so exciting to hear of more and more people asking for drones for Christmas, and even more exciting to see responsible drone pilots on the rise. However selecting the right drone for the right person can be tricky, and that’s not to mention the training they may need to become the drone pilot of their dreams. Our Christmas drone guide is here to help with both of those things.

Is it a toy?

There is currently no minimum age to take flight as a drone pilot, however, if the drone is not classified as a toy, meaning it is below 250g and cannot capture photos or videos, then it must be registered by someone over the age of 18. This can be done by a parent, guardian or a responsible adult and the registration number must always be displayed on the drone. It is recommended that those under 18 should be accompanied by a responsible adult, who has familiarised themselves with the drone’s manual and other relevant regulations, when flying.

Register it, Insure it, Get Qualified

If your drone is over 250g, or is equipped with a camera, you need to register your drone with the CAA and get your operators registration ID. This needs to be shown on your drone at all times and means that your drone can be traced back to you should it get lost for example.

In order to fly your drone you will also need to register for your Flyer ID, which will be awarded upon completion of online training and an examination. Your Flyer ID will ensure that you can fly in the open A1 and A3 categories and is the start of the many opportunities that your drone can give you.

Next, we highly recommend that you insure your drone. Although insurance is not a requirement if you are conducting flights for recreation, sport or as a hobbyist, we highly recommend that you insure your drone to cover any potential damage or accidents that may involve your uncrewed aerial vehicle (UAV). If you are going to be using your drone as part of your business or profession, insurance is required.

Insurance companies such as Moonrock or Coverdrone provide offer great policies for all types of drone usage. Make sure you get in touch with us if you would like guidance on where to start when insuring your drone.

Finally, get qualified.

If you plan on using your drone as a hobbyist, but want to take your skills to the next level, or if you are planning on using your drone as part of your occupation, further training is essential to ensure that you are operating in the safest and most confident way possible.

Earning your A2 CofC is essential if you intend on flying your drone close to people. This includes occupations such as wedding photography, videography and surveying, and will ensure that you can safely and professionally operate your in built up areas and closer to uninvolved people.

Both your A2 CofC and GVC, which can be earned through our combined Zeta course, ensures that you can undertake a wide range of visual line of sight (VLOS) operations within the Specific Category.

Getting the right qualifications, or being aware of the various qualifications out there, is essential if you are receiving or gifting a drone for Christmas.

Check out our drone training page or get in touch with us to make sure that you know everything you need to know.

Related news and insights

View all news


  • Armed Forces Covenant Gold Award logo.
  • ISO 9001 logo
  • Cyber Essentials certification mark.
  • Joscar logo.
  • CAA logo.
  • ADS membership logo.
  • SCEG logo.
  • The Air League logo.
  • Pro Qual logo.
  • ELCAS Logo
  • My Square Metre logo