Make an enquiry

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Do I need to register my drone before flying in the UK? Reveal

    Yes. All drones weighing more than 250 grams must be registered with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). Visit the CAA website for more details on the registration process.

    Can I fly a drone weighing less that 250 grams without registration in the UK?Reveal

    While registration is not required for drones under 250 grams, as it is classed as a toy, it is crucial to follow the general CAA Drone Code and fly responsibility.

    Are there specific no-fly zones for drones in the UK?Reveal

    Yes. There are no-fly zones around airports and other restricted areas. You can use apps provided by the CAA, or other aviation apps, such as Altitude Angel, to check airspace restrictions before flying.

    It is important not to rely solely on the manufacturers’ inbuilt geo-awareness/geofencing for airspace restriction information as they are not always accurate.

    What is the maximum altitude I can fly my drone to in the UK? Reveal

    The maximum altitude allowed for recreational drone flights is 120 meters (400 feet) above ground level.

    Can I fly my drone at night?Reveal

    Yes, but you need to ensure your drone is equipped with lights that can be seen for at least 5 kilometres. Additionally, only fly in accordance with the Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) rules.

    Do I need insurance to fly my drone in the UK?Reveal

    While it’s not a legal requirement to have insurance when conducting flights for your occupation, recreation, sport or as a hobbyist, it is highly recommended to have insurance to cover any potential damage or accidents involving your drone.

    For any other reason, such as using drones as part of your business or profession, insurance is required.

    Can I fly my drone in urban areas?Reveal

    Yes, you can fly in urban areas as long as the drone is below 250 grams Maximum Take Off Mass (MTOM), but you must adhere to privacy and data protection laws. Avoid flying over crowds and respect people’s privacy.

    If the drone has an MTOM of above 250 grams, you are required to obtain an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 CofC). If the activity increases the risk to people due to the MTOM or the requirement to fly over them, you may need to obtain the General Visual Line of Sight Certificate (GVC).

    Are there age restrictions for flying a drone in the UK?Reveal

    To fly a drone weighing 250 grams or more, you must be at least 18 years old. Younger individuals can fly drones below this weight with adult supervision.

    Do I need to take a test or get a license to fly a drone in the UK?Reveal

    Yes. If your drone weighs 250 grams or more, you need to take and pass the online drone and model aircraft education and registration service (DMARES) test. More information can be found here.

    Can I fly my drone in national parks?Reveal

    Flying in national parks is generally allowed, but you should check for any specific regulations in place for the particular park you plan to fly in, such as Sites of Special Specific Interest (SSSIs).

    What should I do if my drone crashes or goes out of control?Reveal

    If your drone crashes, report it to the CAA if it causes injury to a person or damage to property. Always follow the CAA’s guidelines for reporting incidents. More information can be found here.

    Are there different rules for drones of varying weights in the UK?Reveal

    Yes. Drones weighing 250 grams or more have additional regulations, including mandatory registration and the requirement to pass the online drone and model aircraft education and registration service (DMARES) test.

    What restrictions apply to flying drones near people and buildings in the UK? in the UK?Reveal

    Maintain a safe distance from people and buildings.

    For drones weighing 250 grams or more without a qualification, the minimum horizontal separation from uninvolved people is 50 meters, and the minimum vertical separation from any buildings and structures is 150 meters.

    Can I fly my drone over private property in the UK?Reveal

    Yes. You can fly over private property, but it’s essential to respect people’s privacy and comply with data protection laws.

    Avoid causing nuisance or disturbance.

    Are there specific regulations for flying drones near sensitive areas in the UK?Reveal

    Yes. Additional restrictions may apply near sensitive areas such as military bases, nuclear power stations, and government buildings.

    Check for specific regulations and no-fly zones in these areas.

    Can I fly my drone over crowds or large gatherings in the UK?Reveal

    Flying over crowds is not allowed.

    Maintain a safe distance from people and avoid flying in a way that could cause a hazard or disturbance.

    Are there specific weight-related rules for flying drones in certain areas, such as parks, nature reserves or national parks?Reveal

    Some parks and nature reserves may have been specific regulations regarding drone flights, regardless of weight.

    Always check for local rules and guidelines. It’s crucial to follow local regulations and respect the national environment.

    Be mindful of wildlife and other park visitors.

    What are the A1, A2, and A3 categories of operating a sub 25kg drone?Reveal

    The categories of operations are known as Open A1, A2 and A3. They are classified as:

    • A1 (fly over people)
    • A2 (fly close to people)
    • A3 (fly far away from people)

    The basic CAA Drone Code will tell you everything you need to pass the test for a flyer ID, which will allow you to fly in the Open A1 and A3 categories.

    What is the difference between the Open and Specific categories?Reveal

    In UK airspace, the Open category is for low-risk drone operations, with rules based on subcategories (A1, A2, A3) and restrictions on flying over people.

    The Specific category is for higher-risk operations, requiring an Operational Authorisation (OA) based on a safety case. The General Visual Line of Sight Certificate (GVC) is often associated with the Specific category.

    Who provides the A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 CofC) and GVC training?Reveal

    The A2 CofC and GVC training is provided by Eagle Eye Innovations and it’s team of expert drone pilot instructors.

    Eagle Eye Innovations are recognised by the CAA, and our courses are designed to expand your theoretical knowledge to ensure you operate your aircraft safely and appropriately.

    Where will I do the training?Reveal

    We have training venues in Lincoln, the South of England and Scotland, with options to conduct aspects of our training courses online.


    • Armed Forces Covenant Gold Award logo.
    • ISO 9001 logo
    • Cyber Essentials certification mark.
    • Joscar logo.
    • CAA logo.
    • ADS membership logo.
    • SCEG logo.
    • The Air League logo.
    • Pro Qual logo.
    • ELCAS Logo
    • My Square Metre logo